Sunday, August 7, 2011

Care Bear


Date acquired: 2001

I have a confession to make. I am nearly 31 years old and still own a teddy bear, and not just any old teddy bear, but a glow in the dark Care Bear which I bought for myself roughly 10 years ago. I had always wanted a Care Bear when I was a little girl, all my friends at school had at least one in their possession. When I was growing up, my mum made a very conscious effort to keep us away from anything that is remotely in fashion or commercial, hence I was never allow to even mention the word Care Bear around her.

I used to despise her for it, thinking that she had ruined my childhood, that because of her, I will always be the odd one out among my peers. She always said that instead of trying to be like everyone else, I should focus my energy on my creative pursuits and understanding what it means to be an individual. 

And you know what? I did get tease quite often because I wasn't as in touch with the popular culture as my friends, but if I get to choose to live my life again, I wouldn't change it one bit. Compared to most kids, I had a very creative and imaginative life, it shaped me into the person I am today, and I guess I've got mum to thank. But don't tell her that...

I don't know why I bought this Care Bear, maybe it is the little girl in me rebelling against my mum or maybe it is a token that represents something a lot deeper. But you know what? This time I bought it because I really wanted it, not because everyone else has it.

Emotional worth: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...