I never had a really good relationship with food, my mum hated cooking, majority of my childhood was spent in different cafes and restaurants. To me, going out to eat was mere practicality rather than something that is seen as enjoyable. I didn't start cooking until 5 - 6 years ago and all I did was the most basic of recipes since I had no one but myself to teach the art of cooking.
Well how things has changed. I now enjoy food, sometimes I still find the act of eating a waste of time, but we now tolerate each other and I am interested in us becoming friends. I even started experimenting with different recipes. A lot of time they ended up as utter failures, but every so often there will be one or two dishes which I would be very proud of.
This salad is a variation of this recipe I found on Scandi Foodie. If you have never heard of this blog, go to it now, it has beautiful photography and extremely simple and delicious veggie recipes. Unfortunately I couldn't find half the ingredients their recipe calls for, so I made my own version instead. It is so simple and delicious, definitely something which I will be making again and again.
Grilled tofu with barley salad - Serves two with a lunch pack left over
- Half a pack of firm tofu
- 1/2 cup of barley pearls
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- A handful of snowpeas, chopped
- 1/2 cup of ready made satay paste (I got my from an Asian store)
- Handful of sesame seeds
1. Sliced the tofu into slabs and brush some satay paste on the front and back, leave to marinate
2. Cook the barley pearls according to instruction, I added a pinch of salt for added taste
3. While the barely is cooking, grill the tofu on both sides, making sure it has slight crisp texture
4. Rinse the barley out and let it cool and semi-dry for about 20mins
5. Prepare all your veggies, cook the peas and set them aside
6. Dry toast the sesame seeds in a small pan
7. Combine all the veggies, barley and sesame together and dress it with the remainder of the satay paste.
8. Place the grilled tofu on top and serve.Pin It